Functional Safety Consulting
eXcelsior Safety can provide consultancy lifecycle services in the 11 categories which align
with the Functional Safety Lifecycle Framework in the good practice standards.
Why Functional Safety is needed ?
To reduce the risk to people, to minimise damage to the environment and to reduce asset or financial risk.
Compliance with international Standards such as IEC 61508 and IEC 61511 is imperative to meet the Functional Safety requirements for many processes and is part of the Quality Management Systems of many companies.
Provision of Functional Safety Services in line with the Phases and Activities detailed in the Safety Life-cycle is an area in which our consultants have proven to have wide experience and expertise.
Functional Safety services can be categorised into main areas :
- Hazard and Risk assessment and management,
- Allocation of Protection Layers,
- Safety Requirements Specification,
- Control and Mitigation of Random and Systematic Failures,
- Architectural assessment and requirements.
The key to success in achieving a good Functional Safety service depends on several factors:
- Quality of input information during Front End Engineering or Detailed Design stages,
- Clear and both parties understandable scope of supplies,
- Important site expertise of the safety engineers to understand client processes or machines as well as operation processes in helping to determine the right level of risks,
- Large expertise in protection layers in terms of capacity and life cycle management,
- Confidentiality and secured access control of the associated documentation.
eXcelisor Safety can support you with all your Functional Safety requirements.
- Stage 1 – After H&RA has been carried out, the required Protection Layers identified, and the SRS has been developed complete.
- Stage 2 – After SIS has been identified, designed & FAT completed.
- Stage 3 – After Installation, pre-commissioning, final validation of the SIS has been completed & O&M. procedures have been developed.
- Stage 4 – After gaining experience in operating and maintenance.
- Stage 5 – After modification and prior to decommissioning of a SIS.
The objective of having a compliant functional safety management system is to ensure that all aspects, from process hazard and risk assessments (PH&RA) to decommissioning of the SIS are managed.